- Our reception is open from 7:30 -23:00 hrs. on weekdays and 01:00 hrs. on weekends meaning we‘re flexible with check in times
- For resting, recharging and a bite to eat relax in our restaurant, cafe & bar
- Check in after 14:00 hrs. check out before 10:00 hrs.
- Ready for a day of exploring? Set yourself up with our tasty breakfast buffet
- To keep you connected we‘ve Wi-Fi
- Got a question? We‘re here to help with friendly tourist information
- Let us arrange a tour for you with our free tour booking service
- Venturing further afield? We can sort out car rental for you (pick up from Akureyri Backpackers)
- Need to catch up with washing? Our laundromat is at the ready
- For those wanting to whip up a meal we‘ve a fully stocked guest kitchen
- After a day‘s adventure why not chill out in our sauna?
- On your way but not quite yet? We‘re happy to look after your bags in our free luggage storage
Dorms, private rooms and family rooms
Akureyri Backpackers Hostel has 102 beds over 3 floors and a choice of rooms to suit your needs. Whether you‘re travelling solo, with a friend, with a partner or with your family we‘ve accommodation for you. The hostel has sixteen 4-8 person dorms and seven private rooms for 2 persons. For families with children under the age of 16 we offer bunk bed family rooms. You can book your accommodation here
Bathroom, shower & Sauna facilities
All our dorms and private rooms at the hostel have shared bathroom facilities. Our bathrooms are located in the center of each floor allowing easy access for all rooms. You might have heard of Iceland’s geothermal energy and of how fantastic Icelandic water is – both to drink and to bathe in. This means we‘ve nice, warm showers accessible 24-hours a day. We‘ve also a sauna open every day until 23.00 hrs. and this is free for our guests. So after a busy day’s sightseeing you can wind down and have a relaxing night in.
Hanging out places
Akureyri Backpackers hostel is place you can relax in. Whether you‘re reading a book, chatting with friends or want quiet time to reflect on your latest adventure in Iceland our first floor is the perfect place to sit down and relax with a latte, a glass of wine or an award winning Icelandic beer. There‘s plenty of time to relax - our bar is open until 23.00 hrs. on weekdays and 01.00 hrs. on weekends.
Our friendly staff are also on hand to help you plan and prepare. We‘ve a host of ideas, tips and advice on what we think makes a great day out – you know what they say, ask a local to get the lowdown.
If you‘re in the mood to whip up a tasty treat, you‘re more than welcome to use our well equipped kitchen facilities on the lower first floor. Please note that our dining area seats approximately 13 people at a time.
For those wanting to explore Icelandic cuisine and dine at our local restaurants we‘ve a selection of excellent places to recommend that fit different budgets.
Valuables to store? No problem. There are lockers in every room on the 2nd and 3rd floor and these are available for guests to use free of charge. Bring your own padlock or rent one at the reception for a small fee. On the lower first floor we also have a luggage room where you’re welcome to store your luggage any time you like.
Stuff to remember
We‘re a friendly bunch at the hostel and there‘s nothing better we like than seeing our guests have fun. However, we‘ve a few rules in place:
- Children under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian
- Children under the age of 12 cannot be accommodated in shared dorms
- Own food and drinks are not allowed on the first floor during opening hours, only in the guest kitchen.